Fairview Primary School

Fairview Primary School

Life at Fairview Primary School Life at Fairview Primary School Life at Fairview Primary School Life at Fairview Primary School Life at Fairview Primary School Life at Fairview Primary School Life at Fairview Primary School Life at Fairview Primary School Life at Fairview Primary School Life at Fairview Primary School Life at Fairview Primary School Life at Fairview Primary School

Senior Football

Pupils from Primary 6 and Primary 7 meet each Tuesday afternoon from 3pm until 4.30pm for senior football practice. This year, from an enrolment of over 50 pupils, teams are chosen to compete in the local Ballyclare and District 7-a-side league, Ulster Bank Cup and Newtownabbey Cup as well as other tournaments and competitions in the local area.

Each year we have a very successful senior football team who compete in and often win many of these competitions. In addition, last year we introduced a girls' football team who also won their respective tournament. We hope to continue this for the 2017/18 season.


Date Opponent Result Goal Scorers
 13/09/17 Various   WINNERS 2017/18 See Burns' Soccer Tournament
 write-up below


Various WINNERS  See Futsal Heat 1 write-up below
 06/12/17 Various


See Futsal Finals Day write-up below
Leading Goalscorers Goals 
Andrew Wilson 4
Logan McWilliams 4
Josh Moore 2
Calum Adams 6
Calum Conn 7
Dylan Turkington 5

 Fairview crowned Futsal Champions

On Wednesday 6th December the senior football team attended the Futsal Finals Day in Allen Park accompanied by Mr Kennedy. They played 2 games against Antrim Primary School, Maine Integrated Primary School and Templepatrick Primary School, winning 5 and drawing 1. The results are as follows:
  *  v Antrim  W2:0 (Calum Conn (2))
  *  v Templepatrick  D1:1 (Calum Conn)
  *  v Maine  W2:0 (Calum Conn, Calum Adams)
  *  v Maine  W2:0 (Dylan Turkington (2))
  *  v Antrim  W1:0 (Logan McWilliams)
  *  v Templepatrick  W1:0 (Calum Conn)

Special mention must go to Calum Conn who scored 5 goals on the day and also won the 'Player of the Tournament' award. Also Tom Fleming who made a series of excellent saves at crucial times and was only beaten once all day.

 Fairview win Heat 1 of Antrim Futsal Tournament

On Wednesday 22nd November a team of 8 boys traveled with Mr Kennedy to Allen Park in Antrim to take part in Heat 1 of the Antrim Futsal competition. The boys played 2 matches against Ballykeel Primary School from Ballymena, Greystone Primary School from Antrim and Templepatrick Primary School. Details of match results and goal scorers are as follows:
  *  v Greystone  W4:0 (Calum Adams (2), Dylan Turkington, Logan McWilliams)
  *  v Ballykeel  W2:0 (Dylan Turkington, Calum Conn)
  *  v Templepatrick  W2:1 (Dylan Turkington, Calum Adams)
  *  v Ballykeel  W2:1 (Andrew Wilson, Calum Conn)
  *  v Greystone  D0:0
  *  v Templepatrick  D0:0

Fairview wins the Burns' Soccer Football Tournament

On Wednesday 13th September the senior football team took part in a tournament organised by Burns' Soccer School, played at the 3G pitches in Carrickfergus. Fairview were drawn in Group A with St. Nicholas' PS, Woodlawn PS and King's Park PS.In the opening group match, Fairview played King's Park PS. Both teams showed great footballing skills early on. Fairview began strongly but couldn't beat the resolute King's Park defense. Josh Moore saw his shot well saved by the 'keeper while Andrew Wilson was unlucky to see his strike drift narrowly wide. At the other end, Ben Vance and Logan McWilliams used their speed to help protect the Fairview goal and restricted King's Park to long range efforts. Further chances fell to Andrew Wilson, Calum Conn and Calum Adams to open the scoring but no-one was able to break the deadlock
Final Score: Fairview 0 - 0 King's Park

In the second game St. Nicholas' were our opponents. Fairview again bossed most of the play, so it wasn't long before Josh Moore opened the scoring. A through ball from Calum Conn found Josh on the left who turned inside his marker and struck the ball past the 'keeper to make it 1-0. Two minutes later the ball broke to defender Logan McWilliams who tried his luck from distance. His crisp strike beat the goalkeeper to make it 2-0. Dylan Turkington had a chance to increase the lead but found only the side-netting before Calum Conn saw his shot well-saved. Goalkeeper Tom Fleming also did well to clear the ball under pressure from the St. Nics striker.
Final Score: Fairview 2 - 0 St. Nicholas'

In the final group game we met Woodlawn PS. Andrew Wilson scored the first goal early on. The goalkeeper saved the initial shot but as the ball dropped, Andrew managed to wrap his foot around it and place it past the 'keeper. The second goal was a stunning strike from Calum Adams. Andrew's initial shot was blocked by the defender but as the ball rebounded to Calum, he struck it first time, off the underside of the bar and into the back of the net. Further chances fell to Dylan Turkington, Calum Conn and Calum Adams before Andrew Wilson scored the game's third goal. As he ran through he side-stepped his marker and drilled his shot past the keeper.
Final Score: Fairview 3 - 0 Woodlawn

This meant that Fairview progressed to the semi-final matches where we met Lynn PS. This was another close game with excellent football played by both teams. Fairview dominated the early play but couldn't beat the Lynn goalkeeper. Chances fell to Andrew Wilson and Calum Conn but both were unlucky to see their shots go wide. Logan McWilliams and Ben Vance were kept busy in the Fairview defense while anything which did get through was well-saved by 'keeper Tom Fleming. In the final minutes Tom rushed off his line to intercept a through ball to maintain the 0-0 deadlock. With the game tied, penalties would decide the winner. Josh Moore stepped up first and struck his penalty into the bottom right corner to make it 1-1 before Calum Adams placed his into the roof of the net to make it 2-2. The Lynn captain was unfortunate to place his penalty wide of the right-hand post which meant Logan McWilliams only had to score to win. Thankfully for Fairview, Logan's penalty beat the outstretched hand of the goalkeeper meaning we progressed to the final.
Final Score: Fairview 3 - 2 Lynn

The final was a repeat of the opening group fixture against King's Park PS. However, this time Fairview took an early lead. As the King's Park player raced forward, a strong challenge saw him fall to the ground, but as the referee signaled to play on, Calum Adams' through ball found Andrew Wilson on the left hand side of goal who then turned inside the defender and placed his shot into the bottom corner of the net to make it 1-0. Tom Fleming made a good save low to his left while Ben Vance made a number of timely tackles to help protect the Fairview goal. Dylan Turkington and Calum Conn saw their shots well-saved by the impressive King's Park goalkeeper before Andrew Wilson placed his shot wide of the post with the 'keeper out of position. Both teams played exceptionally well, however, Fairview held out to win the first tournament of the new school year.
Final Score: Fairview 1 - 0 King's Park

Congratulations also to Tom Fleming who was named as 'Player of the Tournament' after making a series of great saves and was unbeaten from open play all day.